What, then, can we learn from "Joe the Plumber," the McCain campaign's newly anointed symbol of all that is wrong with Barack Obama's proposed tax policies? McCain claimed that poor Joe would be discouraged by Democratic taxes from purchasing a plumbing business that would thrust him into the $250,000/year bracket. Alas, as the facts sprouted into view, we learned that actually:
- Joe is not a licensed plumber.
- Joe is not even close to being able to purchase the plumbing business.
- The plumbing business does not earn $250,000/year.
- Joe's own annual income is far, far below the $250,000 threshold, meaning that he would benefit from Obama's tax plan -- he'd get a tax cut.
- Oh, and his name isn't really Joe (unfortunate soul).